Come, join us as we worship a holy and gracious God with reverence and joy!
|* Those who are able, please stand.||Download PDF liturgy|
ENTERING INTO WORSHIP
* Call to Worship: Psalm 111:1-9
* Invocation: Psalm 124:8
* Salutation: Romans 1:7
* Opening Prayer
* Song of Praise: O Give the LORD Wholehearted Praise #222:1, 2, 5, 6
CONFESSION OF SIN
Reading of the Law: Matthew 22:37-40
Our Heavenly Father, we are gathered before you, the Maker of Heaven and Earth, whose chosen dwelling place is with the broken and contrite, to confess that we have sinned in thought and word and deed; we have not loved you with all our heart and soul, we have not loved you with all our mind and strength; we have not even loved our neighbor as ourselves. In your mercy, deepen our sorrow for the wrong we have done and for the good we have left undone, so that we may hate our sin with a holy hatred. But, please Father, do not leave us in sorrow. With you, O Lord, there is forgiveness. In your mercy, restore the joy of our salvation; so that we may love you with a holy love. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon: Psalm 32:1-2, 5
RESPONSE OF GRATITUDE
Q. How are you righteous before God?
A. Only by true faith in Jesus Christ: that is, although my conscience accuses me, that I have grievously sinned against all the commandments of God, and have never kept any of them, and am still prone always to all evil; yet God, without any merit of mine, of mere grace, grants and imputes to me the perfect satisfaction, righteousness, and holiness of Christ, as if I had never committed nor had any sins, and had myself accomplished all the obedience which Christ has fulfilled for me; if only I accept such benefit with a believing heart.
Congregational Prayer (ending in the Lord’s Prayer)
SERVICE OF THE WORD
* Scripture Lessons: Leviticus 16:15-19; Romans 3:21-31 (text)
* Gloria Patri
* Song of Preparation: I Will Extol Thee, O My God #298:1-3
Sermon: THE SAVING RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD
1. The Righteousness of the Unrighteous
2. The Free Gift of God’s Grace
3. Demonstrates God’s Justice and Holiness
LEAVING TO SERVE
* Song of Response: It is Good to Sing Praises #180:1-3
* Doxology: Praise, My Soul, the King of Heaven (stanzas 1-2 only)
* Benediction: Hebrews 13:20-21
* Amen! Three-Fold Amen